Our Featured Entrepreneur: Billie Mendoza, Founder & Owner of Paw Joggers
1. How did you know you wanted to start your own business? Had the opportunity to take early retirement and I knew I didn’t want to start over as an employee. I knew as a business owner I would have control over quality of products or services I was offering. As an employee I was working and working…never feeling like I could accomplish much or do large implementations.
2. What is your history? I spent 23 years in the airline industry, from flight attendant to regional cargo manager. I even drove forklifts at one point!
3. What is your business? Paw Joggers is a pet exercise and in home care service. Started in May of 2009.
4. What has been your biggest challenge with owning your own business? Taxes! But really, understanding that as a business owner I did have control of my business. I didn’t need to second guess myself. Changing from the mindset of an employee to the mindset of an owner was tough but amazing. You will learn quite a bit on the fly.
5. What advice would you give a person considering starting their own business? Do a lot of research first. Talk to people in the specific industry or to other business owners in the general field. Gather as much info as possible. The pros cons and weigh them. You will need to learn to balance your work/life time. You are never on vacation!
6. How do you stay motivated? By continuing to learn new things. Learning new things that will separate my business from others. Customer feedback is a great motivator for me. I also really get motivated by the feedback from the employees. You know you are doing it right when you get positive feedback.